Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Wow!

I have been thinking a lot about something lately. Single people. For those who don't know, I did not get married until I was 27 (I was 26, but turned 27 16 days later) which by Baptist standards is ancient! The years before I got married were both the most difficult and some of the best years of my life! I say the best because I got to do so many things that I don't get to do now, like travel to see my friends whenever I want to, work crazy hours in retail, work in many different cities. I also say the best because of what I learned about myself, how to talk to people, see things from their perspective, how to listen, how to cherish the things I hold dear. Difficult because of all the married people around me (there were a few who were ok) who too often took pity on me because I was single. I literally had someone ask if I was dating anyone say, "ah, that's too bad" to me. Crazy! As if I wasn't a whole person without being married and that I would be less happy because I wasn't married. The biggest lesson I learned was that I needed to become complete in God. I didn't need a man to complete me at all, but now Chris compliments me in the very best ways! He is the best! I am so glad worked our story the way he did!

All this is to really post something my sister Amy wrote me this last week. She is single, and while she would love the "icing" she loves her God and knows He has her exactly where He wants her! She is an amazing woman and I want to share her wisdom. Here is an excerpt from the email she sent me!

...No one can say that everyone will get married, because God is in control and may not want them to get married. So instead of getting their hopes up, why not focus on helping them cultivate happiness in an area where they are guaranteed happiness...obedience to God. 4 simple rules for singles:
1. Don't wait to get married - Travel, get your degree, buy that house, have a social life.
2. Build your relationship with God.
3. Prepare for the future - Grow in your career, save your money, make lifelong friends.
4. Stop assuming that your singleness is a product of your inadequacies in life. This should be the recipe for a "chocolate cake life" IF you get married in the process, consider it icing NOT the flour!
Thanks Ame! You are awesome! I love you! I think we can all learn from this how to pray for single people! They have so much to contribute if we would just let them be who God wants them to be!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Bear! Everyone knows I would love to get married someday, but not eveyone knows how painful it is to be seen as only half of a whole! I love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, Amy! Totally right! Thanks for opening our eyes to our own blind spots as to how we treat others. I love my girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a good post, Carrie. Thanks for your thoughtfulness. My experiences with the single life are all through my blog, especially the recent ones. Lol What do you do though, except trust God? This is where He has me and I can see the greener grass on the other side of the fence, but I also see the reality of mowing that lawn as opposed to my own. ;-)

    ReplyDelete