Thursday, February 19, 2009

I'm pretty sure I'm losing my mind

Ok, I know every parent has been there so I am calling out for any advice that can be given (Laura, Kelly, Beccah....) Wyatt is having a VERY difficult time going to bed. Its been a good 2 1/2 -3 weeks and it got better for a few days but then right back to horrible, in fact worse than before. Not only will he not stay in bed after 3 or 4 times he is screaming his head off! We have tried punishment, walking him back to his bed w/o saying anything, taking away things he loves (drumming) the next day, and nothing is working. Do I just keep with it and it will eventually get better or do I try something new. Please help! I miss this....

4 comments:

  1. Carrie, I totally feel your pain. Parker use to ask to go to bed and he would lay right down and fall fast asleep and would sleep all night. Now, he screems for about 20 min. and wakes up several times during the night. I have no idea what changed. I just ignore him and he eventually goes to sleep. I feel horrible doing this but I just don't want to start something like rocking or having him sleep in our bed especially with the new baby coming. I can't offer much advice b/c Jacob,my 8 yr. old, has always been a good sleeper and never went through this. I just wanted to reassure you that you are not alone. Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie, I am so sorry! How frusterating! Is Wyatt all of a sudden afraid of the dark? Does he use a nightlight? That helped Aiden and we go in after he's asleep and turn it off so he doesn't wake up early. Has this started since you moved downstairs? Maybe it's just the new atmosphere it's got him scared and he has to adjust. Have you been doing the same routine with him? Aiden struggles a whole lot more when Chad wrestles with him before bed and Aiden also does better when we prepare him that bedtime is coming. We've had to go in and spank him recently too. not very often but I have to make sure his nap isn't too long or he's not ready to go to bed. I personally try not to sleep with him or let him come into our bed because I figure the next time will be harder to get him in his bed. Be consistent and loving. Patience is very hard to have...but pray! I'm trying to learn this right now.
    Love you...
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Care! Sounds like he's in a tough stage! I'm sure it will pass! Davis for a few months struggled by crying but never got out of bed. Of course you have to judge whats best but we never let ours get out of bed without asking, it resulted in a spank.:( Does he say if something scares him?? Davis has learned recently what it means to "be scared" and so we often pray with him and are teaching him that he needs to pray when he is scared..Maybe a night light...music...something would help?? I know too when we first took the passy away, I would lay with them the first few nights till they fell asleep. Sorry! Hang in there! This too shall pass...or so they say!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kaish never did this. I know you didn't ask for my help, but I was going to give it if I could : ). I can't though. One thing I always did with Kaish (and I still do)is have music playing all night long. Lullabies or something soothing. Also, I usually lay down beside him and he falls asleep within 10 minutes. I am pretty sure that is a bad thing to do though. I think I read it somewhere that kids should fall asleep on their own.

    ReplyDelete