We arrived at the hospital at 9:30am and were taken right up to periop for prep for the surgery. I can't say I wasn't nervous, but I think I was more excited and ready to be done being pregnant! We were met by our sweet nurse who took us back to our room and got us ready! We didn't have long to wait, the surgery was scheduled for 11:30am and there was a lot to do before then. We got pushed back a half hour at some point, and since they had already started pumping me full of fluids I needed to use the restroom. My nurse had stepped out and the nurse that came in amazingly was our labor and delivery nurse from when we had Leah! We LOVED her in our past delivery! She was awesome so we were so excited to see her! She said we looked familiar but she's helped with probably thousands (ok or hundreds) of deliveries in the last couple of years so I'm sure the faces blurr together. She ended up being in the surgery and then we had her for our post op! She again was amazing. But, I'm getting ahead or myself.
We were taken to surgery just before noon and the part I was scared most of was right in front of me....the spinal! But I bucked it up and clenched my fists and was plesantly surprised that it wasn't really that big of a deal1 Yay!! Man, those things work fast! The first sensation was nice, because my feet had been freezing and were instantly warm :) Its funny the things you take note of! Ok all draped and prepped and
at 12:09 Chris was ushered in and
at 12:11pm Caleb Jeffery joined the world and
at 12:12pm Emmerson Rose brought us her sweet presence!
What amazing moments! Very different than delivering naturally, but still amazing none the less!
Caleb screamed and screamed and screamed while he was being weighed in at 6# 13oz and measured at 20" long
Emmerson also cried and cried while she weighed in at 5# 14oz and measuring 19" long!
At times we were laughing because they seemed to be competing with eachother!
Both were doing great at first, but Caleb started having some trouble breathing before the surgery was done they decided he was going to go to the NICU for observation for a bit. Thankfully my surgery was completed before he was taken away and I was able to hold him for a few minutes. Not nearly long enough, but at least I could see him! Incidentally, I didn't get to see him again until after 8 that evening.
Emmy, in all her tiny goodness was doing great! She never had to leave us! She is perfect!
We were taken back to recovery, where after a bit my dad was able to come in to see us! So so sweet, seeing our tiny tiny girl in her grandpa's big hands! Very secure! I was able to call my mom and let her know all was well and they were here! She was staying with the older two kids so had to wait a bit to come up! Dad went and subbed her out and she came up to meet her newest grandbaby.
The Dr. from the NICU came up just before we were taken to postpardem to let us know about our sweet boy! He had a small, very small pneumothorax and was just having some trouble breathing. They decided to admit him :( He was doing well, just not well enough.
The next few hours were met with lots of family and friends all thrilled our sweet blessing were here!!!
There is so much more to add, but for now this will have to do!


Carrie! Beautiful story! Congratulations! TWO babies! What amazing gifts!! =) Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete